torsdag 5. februar 2009

What students want

In this lecture by Michael Wesch, an assistant professor of cultural anthropology at Kansas State University, it is discussed whether the Internet is positive or negative for the student’s education. The technology extends more and more for very day. Each day something new shows up is added at the Internet and to explore the learning through the Internet we have to take risks.

Michael once asked his students: “How many do not actually like school?” Over half of the students raised their hands. Then he asked them: “How many do not like learning?” And there were no hands. Kinds of weird as the students are learning in school…

The Internet is a new type of media used to educate students. At my school every student has his/her own computer, and we use it in every class. And I have to agree; the Internet – for example Facebook can easily distract the students. But we also use Internet for the good; we look up information to learn more. The computer is a device allowing the students to interact with each other during class (and of course outside class as well). This can affect the students both in a negative way as well as in a positive way.

Maybe at times I would learn more if I didn’t have my computer in front of me, but in most cases I wouldn’t. By using my computer I can easier take notes in class and at the same time be attentive to the lecture the teacher is giving.

Michael states that: “We need to move from being knowledgeable to be creating students who are knowledge-able. Meaning able to criticize, analyze, share and evaluate the information we are given. The point is not to remove the Internet access for students, but to teach them how to use the Internet in a positive way.” I agree with this, I think we learn more by using our computers in addition to our textbooks!

1 kommentar:

Ann S. Michaelsen sa...

Thank you Karianne for a very interesting article about the lecture. You have some good points in the end!